Method 1 – To change the Recent Items in Windows 7:
- Right click on the taskbar and section the properties option.
In the properties window select the “Start Menu” tab.
- Now click the button that says “customize”.
- In the “Customize Start Menu” window change the items of recent items in Jump Lists as shown in the image.
- Finally click the “Ok” button and your settings will be saved.
Note: This method only works for Windows 7.
Method 2 – To change the Recent Items in Windows 7 and Vista :
- Open the Run window by pressing windows+R key combination.
- In the run type regedit.exe
- In the regedit window navigate to the path:
- In the Explorer folder create a “Dword” entry as shown in the picture and name it as “MaxRecentDocs”
- In the “Value Data” field select the number of documents you want to see in the Recent Items and select the base as “Decimal”.
- Now restart the system and your changes will be reflected.
Note: If you want to disable the recent documents simply uncheck the option “Store and display a list of recently opened files” in Start menu properties (as shown in the above image).